Hot summer days almost automatically call for a tasty ice cream cone! Not only is it fun to eat ice cream, it is also fun to read about the cold, creamy treat! What better topic for a story time when it’s too hot to play outside?
From Gerald the elephant wondering if he should share in Should I Share My Ice Cream? to learning a bit on how ice cream is made in From Cow to Ice Cream, we have all kinds of great books to read about ice cream! The Scoop on Ice Cream even has a recipe for making your own baggie ice cream! Here’s a list to check out:
And how about some ice cream songs?
- Cow Tunes for Kids (Songs: Twenty Eight Scoops of Ice Cream, A Big Book About Ice Cream, Eating Ice Cream ‘Til the Cow Comes Home, and The History of Ice Cream)
- Kindergarten Songs (Song: Ice Cream Sunday)
- Bumping and a-Jumping (Song: I Dream of Ice Cream)
- More Silly Songs (Song: I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream)
- Buzz Buzz (Song: Ice Cream Cone)
How about some cool crafts? Just be sure the kids don’t actually try to eat these–they look good enough to try a bite!
Finally, in case you can’t get to the library for that ice cream recipe, here’s a link to make your own at home! What better way to spend a scorching summer day than to read a couple great books, sing some songs, do some rhymes, make a craft, and end it all in fresh, homemade ice cream? Enjoy!
For more on story time and early literacy, visit our Early Literacy page!